Panerai Luminor 1950 1000m Submersible; PAM243 - M series (Discontinued)
The Panerai Submersible 1000m model was Panerai's answer to the Rolex SeaDweller - A professional 'tool' watch meant for exploring the deepest depths of the ocean. Interestingly, Throughout its production (over a period of only 10 production years), the 1000m Submersible model was one of the lowest production models in the Panerai Catalog. Sadly, there is no 1000m Submersible model in the current Panerai catalog!
The most distinguishing feature of Panerai's 1000m Submersible models is the significantly thicker and heavier case featuring a passive helium release valve on the side of the case at 9:00 along with a fatter and thicker Donut shaped divers bezel which gives the watch the appearance of having a smaller face/dial.
History of the Panerai 1000m Submersible:
- The Panerai PAM64 was the first 1000m Submersible - released as a Special Edition of only 500 pieces and made for Only 1 year (C series production year in year 2000).
- The PAM87 followed the release of the PAM64. The PAM87 1000m Submersible is essentially the same watch as the PAM64 but with a blue dial. The PAM87 1000m Submersible was a limited edition model made for the D-E-F-G-H series, some years produced in only 300 pieces, other years as few as 200 pieces, but never more than 500 pieces in any production year. The PAM87 1000m Submersible was discontinued after the release of the H series PAM87
- The Pam243 1000m Submersible was released to continue the 1000m blood line. To celebrate this new model release, the 1000m Submersible was updated with a Luminor 1950 case (previous 1000m Submersible models were based on the Luminor case). The Luminor 1950 case features a slightly larger and more exaggerated crown protector and the case has more of a cushion shape. The Pam243 was made for 5 years (I J K L M Series) and just like previous 1000m Submersible models, produced in very limited quantities. In some years it was only made in 200 or 300 pieces and never more than 500 pieces in any 1 production year.
- Starting in the J series the Pam243 adopted the quick release Strap changing system which allows strap changes without the use of a screwdriver. The PAM 243 1000m Submersible was discontinued after the M series and to date there has not been another 1000m Submersible released by Panerai. I hope with Panerai's deepening and widening of the Submersible Family to include Bronze, Gold and 42mm Submersible Models, we will see a re-vamping of the 1000m Submersible in the not too distant future! If that happens, I suspect we will see high demand amidst limited supply for original Panerai 1000m Submersible models.
This watch is a living Time Capsule and as such is Complete with everything even the most demanding and discerning Panerai enthusiast would demand in an investment grade example. This watch comes 100% complete with everything as purchased brand new direct from dealer including: original Triple Box Set (sticker on outside of box), Serialized and matching CoSC certificate, movement sticker, Warranty Card (all matching of course) along with Submersible 1000m Instruction Booklet, Libretto Warranty Booklet, bezel protector and extra divers strap. It simply does not get more complete than this!!!
This watch is pre-owned and looks like it was worn a handful of times (if that) and on a very careful basis. You be the judge. All pictures are of actual watch.
Here is production History of the Panerai 1000m Submersible Model:
- 2000 - PAM 64 C series (Special Edition) 500 Pieces Black Dial
- 2001 - PAM 87 D series (regular Edition) Light Blue Dial
- 2002 - PAM 87 E Series (regular Edition) Light Blue Dial
- 2003 - PAM 87 F series (regular edition) Dark Blue Dial
- 2004 - PAM 87 G series (regular edition) Dark Blue Dial
- 2005 - PAM 87 H Series (regular edition) Dark Blue Dial
- 2006 - PAM 243 I Series (regular edition) Black Dial
- 2007 - PAM 243 J Series (regular edition) Black Dial - New Strap Changing system
- 2008 - PAM 243 K Series(regular edition) Black Dial - New Strap Changing system (500 Pieces)
- 2009 - PAM 243 L Series (regular edition) Black Dial - New Strap Changing system
- 2010 - PAM 243 M Series (regular edition) Black Dial - New Strap Changing system (ONLY 300 Pieces for final year of PAM243)